When your car battery dies, a jump-start might be the solution to get you back on the road again. Don’t wait until you are in a position where your car won’t start to figure out what you need to do. It is essential for all drivers to know how to jump-start a car. If the proper steps are not taken, you may do more harm than good to the vehicle.
Car batteries are rechargeable and can last up to three to four years. When your battery is dead and recharging is possible, you need another car to jump your battery and the cables are required to connect them. Always keep a pair of jumper cables in your vehicle in case you or someone else needs a jump. Find out how to jump-start a car the right way by reading on!
Steps to Jump Start a Vehicle’s Battery
To jump-start your car battery, you will need a set of jumper cables and another vehicle you can use to get a jolt. With this equipment, you can now take the following steps:
- Move the car with a good battery at least two feet close to your own, with the engines facing each other.
- Engage both parking brakes and ensure both vehicles are turned off, then open the hood of both cars to locate the batteries.
- Identify both batteries’ positive (often red) and negative (often black) terminals.
- Ensure that the terminals are clean and free of corrosion
- Connect the red clamp of the jumper cables to the positive terminals of your battery.
- Hook up the other red clamp of the jumper cable to the positive terminal on the live vehicle.
- Then connect the black end of the cable to the negative terminal of the live battery.
- At the vehicle with the dead battery, connect the last black cable clamp to a flat, unpainted metal surface on the car’s frame.
- Ensure that all connections are in their proper places, then start the working vehicle’s engine.
- Let the engine run for a few moments. This will pass a charge to the once-dead battery.
Jump starting the battery will recharge the battery and make it mobile. A car battery that frequently needs recharging is a sign that you are due for a battery replacement. Bring your vehicle to our auto repair shop at your earliest convenience.